Mariyam Zamorski, CPCU is an Assistant Underwriting Manager at James River Insurance Company
- What year did you receive your designation? How long did it take you to obtain your CPCU?
I received the CPCU designation in 2020 and took about 3 years to complete.
- What has been your greatest takeaway from completing your CPCU designation?
The greatest takeaway from completing the CPCU designation for me was the sense of accomplishment and camaraderie that developed among my peers. It definitely had some challenging moments but made easier by sharing the struggles and successes with other CPCU candidates. You connect with a lot of people willing to share supplementary study materials!
- Do you have any advice for anyone thinking of getting the designation?
Jump right in and keep going! I initially thought I was too new to the industry to begin working on the CPCU, but I felt the CPCU courses helped build a solid foundation. I'd always order the next course materials within days of passing the previous exam to keep the momentum going. Make a study calendar and find a buddy to hold you accountable to the schedule.
- Why or how did you start in the insurance industry?
I used to work in a vaccine laboratory. I enjoyed working on medical products but found myself wanting a role that still used my analytical skills but also something where I could build and foster client relationships, which oftentimes handled by separate roles in the science industry. I learned about insurance underwriting from another friend and when I discovered a Life Sciences division purely by chance, everything clicked!
- Tell us you are in Insurance/Risk Management without telling us you are in Insurance/Risk Management!
I pay special attention to all health/wellness product labels, ingredients, directions, warnings, and safety information.
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
Buy some land for a fruit/nut orchard and a couple of farm animals.
- What would you do (for a career) if you weren't in Insurance/Risk Management?
I'd like to manage a small sustainable farm.
- Where is the best place you've traveled to and why?
Salamanca, Spain. Absolutely charming town and has one of the largest public squares with the friendliest locals. Best churros & hot chocolate I've ever had! It was also one of the last trips where my entire family from around the world could meet for a wedding so there's great memories all around.
- What is your favorite movie?
- If you could have any superpower what would it be?