Fri, 09/25/2020 - 14:49
- How long have you been in the industry? It’s been 25 years since I started working in the industry, but my path has shifted towards a legal practice focused more on transactional and regulatory advice for health care providers. Insurance and risk management continue to be vital components of this.
- What is your current position and employer? I am a law partner with Hancock, Daniel & Johnson, P.C.
- How long did it take you to obtain your CPCU? About three years.
- What do you like most about your job? I enjoy the dynamic and complex nature of representing health care providers. The law and the health care industry are constantly evolving.
- Why or how did you start in the insurance industry? Shortly after college, I started work as a risk management analyst for a risk management consulting firm. I transitioned into consulting work and later applied to law school.
- Do you have any advice for anyone thinking of getting the designation? The CPCU designation not only adds credibility to your experience and knowledge, I found the courses and study materials to be quite educational since they exposed me to areas of the industry that were not directly related to my work. The designation is well-recognized and will better position you to take advantage of new opportunities that may arise.
- What book did you read last? The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- What is your favorite restaurant? Stella’s
- What college/university did you attend? Randolph-Macon College for undergraduate work and the University of Richmond for law school.
- Tell us something about yourself outside of your insurance career. My family has been enjoying trips to the Outer Banks each summer for the last 17 years. Ocracoke Island is our favorite destination.