Jon O'Hara, CPCU, AU is an Associate Underwriter at Kinsale Insurance Company
- What year did you receive your designation? How long did it take you to obtain your CPCU?
2021, it took me about two years to complete
- CPCU Society members are passionate about their work. Some call this "geeking out" or being an "insurance nerd." What are YOU trying to get better at?
I'm really looking to become a more well-rounded insurance professional. Additionally, I want to continue to learn and develop insurance expertise and show my dedication to the insurance industry.
- What do you wish everybody knew about the CPCU Society?
The CPCU Society is a great opportunity to network with other current and/or potential CPCU's, and also provides a great avenue for discourse among members which can serve as a wonderful source of information.
- What has been your greatest takeaway from completing your CPCU designation?
While it is time-consuming and requires a great deal of effort, the benefits are certainly worth the sacrifice required to obtain it. Finally adding those letters to your name is incredibly rewarding!
- Do you have any advice for anyone thinking of getting the designation?
Being consistent in your studies definitely helps to get through the requirements and obtaining the designation faster. Additionally, make sure to utilize all aspects offered by the Institutes in your studies, i.e. videos and practices quizzes and exams to ensure you perform your best.
- Why or how did you start in the insurance industry?
I started because I was interested in the industry and wanted to learn more about it right out of college. I stayed in the industry because I thought I had a good personality for underwriting.
- What is the best career lesson you've learned so far?
There is always more to learn, and you should be proactive in staying abreast of developing trends in the marketplace!
- What do you like most about your job?
What I like most about my job is using creative or out-of-the-box approaches to difficult or distressed risks to provide coverage when otherwise it may not be available to our clients. I enjoy the challenge as well as the ability to get creative.
- What book did you read last?
The Alchemist - fantastic read!
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
I'd get a nice beach house for my family!
- What would you do (for a career) if you weren't in Insurance/Risk Management?
I think I would have most likely pursued a career in sports and exercise science or would have tried coaching lacrosse at some level. I love to be around that sport!
- Where is the best place you've traveled to and why?
I really enjoyed Ireland. The sights in addition to the pub culture there was a blast, and I can't wait to go back!
- Are you Android or iPhone?
Gotta be iPhone
- What's a fun fact about you many people may not know?
My wife and I brought our first child into the world this month!
- If you could have any superpower what would it be?
Super speed - no more worries about being late!
- Three words to best describe you:
Energetic, Tenacious, Consistent