1. How long have you been in the industry? I have been in the insurance industry for 7 years with a gap in between for a sabbatical I took to play professional soccer in Switzerland.
2. What is your current position and employer? I am currently a Commercial Insurance Underwriter for the Manufacturing and Contractors Division at James River Insurance Company.
3. How long did it take you to obtain your CPCU? I started in 2014 and completed in 2017, but attended the 2018 conference.
4. What do you like most about your job? The diversity of each application, problem solving different situations for my clients, and the personal relationships with my brokers and my colleagues.
5. Why or how did you start in the insurance industry? Job fair at VCU. Met an Underwriter at the Job Fair, she told me how much she loved it, totally sold me, and I applied for the internship at Liberty Mutual my Junior year. I loved it and was offered a full-time position once I graduated as an Underwriter Trainee.
6. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking of getting the designation? Set a schedule for when you are going to read, study, take practice exams, and finally take the exam. I would schedule my exam two months out and then schedule out my reading and quizzing within the two months. I gave myself break times and was able to allocate time around family events, vacations, and fun time. Also download the quiz app, I would test myself whenever I was waiting for something or run through vocab words whenever I had free time.
7. What book did you read last? Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahnuik
8. What is your favorite restaurant? Tied with Union Market and The Hill Cafe.
9. What college/university did you attend? Virginia Commonwealth University
10. Tell us something about yourself outside of your insurance career. I love to play sports and enjoy spending time outdoors. I mostly enjoy playing and watching soccer and am excited for the Women's World Cup this year. So far it has been a great tournament!
August 2019 Member Spotlight